My phavourite Phal


Writing is a solitary business. Very quiet. Perhaps that's why I enjoy it after years in a noisy newsroom.

Of course, I have my two daft dogs for company, and I love them.

However, my orchids keep me company too. I have a magic north-facing windowsill where they seem to thrive. Nothing to do with me. I’m not a natural with houseplants.

I have around a dozen, and we commune every day. I watch them grow, form buds, flower. I remember to feed them weakly, and weekly, as they say. Water them, not too often. I dead-head them. Repot if required. Clean their leaves. Brush off the spider webs.

One orchid in particular is my favourite. I bought it two years ago when I had an interview in the paper about The Lost Orchid. The astonishing thing is, it’s still flowering. It hasn’t stopped!

Today is another book launch for me (The Cloud Pearl), and I’d like to say thanks to my wonderful potted friends. 

The Lost Orchid, where all the madness started, is set to be released in January 2014. I think I may treat myself to something special, but this deep pink phalaenopsis will always take pride of place.





By Pamela Kelt

Comments